It’s a sad truth that in our day and age, people are constantly surrounded by air pollution. Add to that the seasonal changes, specifically in South Africa’s spring and summer months, most will find it difficult not to suffer from some sort of allergy, the worst resulting in asthma attacks. Yes, we are surrounded by allergens, which is why it is very important that your home is kept as allergen free as possible.
4 Steps to an Allergy Free Home Environment
- Smoking: The fight against smoking has been an ongoing one for quite some time and for various reasons, including the fact that it is a major trigger factor for those who suffer from asthma or other allergies. As such, avoid smoke in the home at all costs and ensure that nobody smokes near the sufferer.
- Climate control: Allergens such as dust mites, cockroaches and mould all thrive in moist and humid conditions. It is therefore crucial to ensure that the flooring solutions you use give you a certain amount of control of moisture, mould and dust. Air conditioning, dehumidifiers and extractor fans and exhaust fans can all be used to control the amount of moisture in the air inside the home in order to reduce the amount of harmful agents in the home.
- Pets: The saliva, skin flakes and urine of animals can sometimes trigger attacks and it is therefore important that pets are not allowed in the bedroom. If possible, keep them outside, but certainly do not allow them on the bed!
- Flooring: Most experts suggest that only hardwood or laminate flooring is used instead of carpets as these do not allow a build-up of moisture, dust or other allergens. It is now, however, possible for asthma sufferers to have carpets, but only if these are treated with certain chemicals. Those in the know recommend that carpets and flooring are treated with a HealthGuard installation, which ensures that the majority of allergens are removed and don’t return.
More about HealthGuard
At Top Carpets & Floors, we introduced HealthGuard flooring solutions to South Africa more than 25 years ago. This system has proven to be highly effective at reducing allergens and can be installed by our HealthGuard professionals wherever you are. With around 120 outlets in all provinces across the country, you will be able to find practical and allergen resistant flooring solutions near you.
How does it work?
- Our professionals ensure that all your old carpets are removed carefully. This prevents allergens and harmful microbes from being released into the air and causing further discomfort to allergy sufferers.
- The bare floor is treated with a powerful, high filtration vacuum system in order to debug it and remove any remaining allergens. After this the floor is treated with BioGuard Pro to ensure that the floor is protected in the long term from microbes and allergens.
- The customer chooses a suitable flooring solution from us and we install it with the necessary underlays with care and attention. Our HealthGuard Installation System has now made it possible for even allergy sufferers to enjoy having carpets in their homes!
Extensive Product Range
A Top Carpets & Floors store not only has carpets, but we also have an extensive range of other products for your home that include a variety of flooring solutions. Our brilliant and extensive product range includes floor tiles, laminates, natural covering, blinds, carpets, vinyl sheeting, artificial grass, wall expressions, solid engineered wood and many more, and we take great pride in our outstanding workmanship and quality products. With our many outlets across South Africa, we can reach you wherever you are. Contact a Top Carpets & Floors branch near you today for more information about our products.