With an explosion of new and innovative products, as well as improved classics hitting the market in recent years, homeowners and business owners are spoilt for choice when it comes to flooring options. Gone are the days where you had to choose between luxury and practicality, between style and functionality, or between taste and affordability. With the products available today, you can have it all. One of these flooring heroes that has become one of the most popular choices for both residential and commercial use in recent years is wood laminate floors. But just what exactly is this type of flooring and is it a good choice?
This versatile type of flooring is a multi-layered product. The inner layer is usually made from 100% wood waste materials, similar to fibre board materials. This is then impregnated with melamine resin to bond or set the material. A photographic applique layer is then applied over this layer to give the floor its visual design – usually mimicking solid wooden surfaces or natural stone. Finally, a clear aluminium oxide layer is applied over the photographic layer to provide a protective surface that can withstand the daily wear of foot traffic.
Five Benefits of Laminate Flooring
- It is highly durable: It is resistant to stains, dents and scratches, making it perfect for households and offices with lots of activity.
- The visual design is hyper-realistic: The photorealistic imagery is of high resolution and virtually indistinguishable from actual wood.
- It is easy to install: It is a much faster option to install than tiling, real wooden flooring or even treated concrete flooring, and can even be installed over existing flooring.
- It is easy to clean and maintain: You do not need any special chemicals or equipment. A regular sweep for dust and dirt and a mop with some water and soap will keep your floor looking great.
- It is affordable: Laminate allows you to enjoy the beauty of wood floors at a fraction of the price.
How are Wood Laminate Floors Installed?
Wood laminate floors are easy to install and can be done very quickly, which makes it an excellent choice of flooring for home or office renovation projects where the inconvenience and disruption preferably want to be kept to a minimum. The fact that it can be installed over existing flooring makes it even more suitable for renovation projects.
A quality supplier, like Top Carpets and Floors, will have a team of experts who will be able to handle the installation quickly and professionally. However, because of the ease of installation, this can also be attempted as a DIY job for those who have the patience and desire to tackle their own projects. Wood laminate floors usually come with grooves that simply click into each other and the installation requires no screws or nails. Simply ensure that the surface is dry, firm and level.
How to Take Care of Your Wood Laminate Floors
Taking care of your flooring ensures that it will last longer and look good for the duration of its lifetime. A broom for dust and a damp cloth or mop is all that is required to keep this flooring type looking great. It really is that simple. In fact, it is advised that you avoid harsh cleaning materials and chemicals to protect the look of your floor. Also, you want to make sure that your floor is not exposed to stagnant pools of water or other liquids for too long, as this could potentially damage the floor if left unattended.
Where to Buy Top-Quality Wood Laminate Floors
Top Carpets and Floors is a leading supplier of a wide range of quality flooring types, including wood laminate floors. Browse our website to view all the great designs we have available or contact us for advice and quotes.