1. Using a spoon scrape up as much of the spill as possible.
2. Use paper towels to soak up any excess residue.
3. Use a 50/50 solution of white vinegar & lukewarm water. Apply with a soft sponge or spray. Leave for several minutes.
4. Rinse with fresh water and suction with wet & dry vacuum until all solutions are removed
5. Alternatively/in addition to, use a teaspoon of ammonia and warm water; apply with a sponge/spray and leave for several minutes.
6. Repeat 3.
7. With any form of wet application, use a fan directly on the affected area to speed up drying.
8. Should a slight residue remain after the above then consider these additional options.
I. On a clean cloth apply Rubbing Alcohol or Trichloroethylene onto the affected area and rinse as per 6.
II. Apply 3% Hydrogen Peroxide and leave standing for 1 hour
III. If none of the above works consult a professional carpet cleaner.