What is Artificial Grass? Everything You Need to Know About This Innovative Solution
If you’ve ever asked yourself, “what is artificial grass?”, you’re certainly not alone. Many of us have seen artificial grass at sporting stadiums, residential homes, and commercial properties but haven’t the faintest idea about what it’s made of or its interesting history. If you have ever wondered “what is artificial grass?”, then this guide answers all your questions. We also explore why it’s such a popular option for both residential and commercial properties.
What is Artificial Grass, Where Does It Come From, and What is It Made Of?
Artificial grass, also known as ‘fake lawn’, is made from synthetic, human-made fibres. These specialised fibres are created in such a way that they mimic the look of real grass without all the associated hassles. The different synthetic blades come in different heights, known as ‘pile heights’, and the product is made in a similar way to that of a carpet with a solid surface and stitched-on fibres. This manufacturing process makes it super durable and hardy, and well-suited to spaces that enjoy heavy foot traffic.
Interestingly, fake lawns have been around for many decades, with their first appearance in 1964 in a sporting area in Rhode Island in the United States. In 1966, it gained greater popularity when it was installed in the Houston Astrodome – a multi-purpose sporting stadium in desperate need of better grassing solutions. By the 1970s, the installation of artificial grass gained momentum across the US, with many residential abodes opting for this durable and easy-maintenance solution.
Today, it boasts a considerable market value, with a market size of about $3 billion. By 2027, it is estimated to grow to $5.1 billion. Since the 1960s, huge efforts have been wielded to improve the quality and sustainability of artificial grass. As such, the materials used have improved over the years. Initially, nylon fibre was used to create synthetic grass, then polypropylene (PP) became the popular choice, and nowadays, polyethylene (PE) is most often used. Different materials will impact both the look and feel of the grass.
Why Should You Consider Laying a Synthetic Lawn?
Now that we’ve answered the question ‘what is artificial grass?’, it’s time to think about why it’s such a popular choice in many homes and commercial spaces across South Africa and beyond. Consider the advantages of this innovative solution:
- Durability: It has been dubbed ‘forever lawn’ thanks to its durability. Unlike natural grass, artificial lawns won’t die, meaning that they can last for many years and withstand varying weather conditions. Whether we’re experiencing extreme drought, floods of rain, or intense sunshine, this product can handle it all.
- Easy maintenance: When you install synthetic turf, maintenance becomes a thing of the past. No longer will you have to mow your lawn or get down on your knees and tend to the weeds. It is an ideal solution for homeowners wanting to enjoy the simplicity of low-maintenance, lock-up-and-go homes. It’s also a brilliant option for those who travel often and don’t want to worry about the state of their lawns whilst away.
- Water wise: Artificial grass is a sustainable, water-wise solution. As climate change becomes more concerning, so will regulations around water use. Happily, this solution doesn’t need any water to keep it looking lush and green, meaning that you save more water in your garden, all the while maintaining a beautiful yard. As an added benefit, when you choose artificial grass, you also won’t have to worry about those unsightly dry patches making it perfect for those concerned with wanting neat and elegant gardens.
- No more critters: Another perk of installing a fake lawn is the fact that critters won’t feast on it. Unlike real grass, which might make for a tantalising insect treat, artificial grass will remain protected. Moreover, you won’t have to worry about any weeds.
- Cost savings: You can save on expenses after the initial purchase and installation of your artificial lawn. There is no need for hiring a gardening service to maintain your lawn and you won’t have to worry about special fertilisers, grass foods, and watering costs. As the years roll forward, this will save you money and time.
Partner with Top Carpets and Floors for All Your Flooring Solutions
If you are ready to transform your garden into a year-round oasis of green by installing artificial grass, it’s worth chatting with our experts about our top-quality solutions. Popular products include Likelawn, Designer Grass, and our Artificial Grass Collection. All advertised pricing is based on metropolitan areas, and thus surcharges might apply if customers live in outlying areas.
Our artificial grass options also come with a warranty for all manufacturing defects and UV stability, and we are always available to answer any questions or concerns. For more information on our popular product offerings, give us a call at 087 236 6304.
If you want to improve your home’s interior too, why not explore our range of flooring and installation options? From engineered wood floors and wood laminates to carpet tiles and vinyl sheeting, we do it all and pride ourselves on professionalism and quality. With 130 stores nationwide in all the central provinces, we are available to assist with your flooring or artificial grass needs. Find your nearest store, and we’ll do the rest.